Thursday, August 9, 2007

Pride?

Any Malaysian right now that's even remotely in touch with some media is bound to be hearing the 'Merdeka' call. After all, it's the 'Big 50', and boy are we proud of it.

50 years of independence? Yeah. Great. Woo hoo. Honestly, I'm appreciative of the living conditions I have. I've been blessed with a pretty nifty job, positive income growth, relatively decent living costs (there was an economic entity that claimed we were one of the cheapest countries to live in) and many more perks, so I don't really have an issue with our national fanfare.

However, the public announcement from one radio station made me cringe. I'm willing to bet I'm not alone.

It went something along the lines of "Be proud of your nation, bla bla bla. After all, we have the 3rd tallest building in the world and the longest pencil in the world (With so much enthusiasm I nearly barfed. Hey another lost word!)

C'mon.
3rd best country to live in? 3rd lowest crime rate in the world? Sure I'd be proud. 3rd tallest building? Gee. Now I KNOW we're on the map for that one.

And do we really need to beat our chests with claims of being able to accommodate giants with an aptitude for writing?

Come the f#ck on.

1 comment:

Antiyap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.