Thursday, August 2, 2007

An inconvenient truth

I just had the pleasure of watching this amazing piece of work. Let me start by saying if you haven't had the opportunity to watch this, please do. I implore you.

Regardless of whether or not you've seen it, I'm pretty sure you would've heard of it. From whatever you know, before i get to my point, I think that most people (myself included) have a tendency of being affected 'in the moment'. The now is usually easy to feel... easy to create a response to.. easy to adjust... but the future is a different thing altogether.

How often does it happen that we make promises to change.. to act.. but don't? It's our nature to procrastinate and forget. Often enough, we make excuses. In this context, many will go "Oh, what can I possibly do to change the world?" However, I honestly believe you can make a difference.

I once read that Einstein called the power of compounding the 8th wonder of the world. If he did, he's absolutely right. Let's say you (yes you!) switch off that dvd player after you're done. If everyone does that, the compounded effect will be tremendous! I think it's important that you start with something small (like that light bulb you like to leave on when you go to bed) The important thing is to be consistent.

After reading this, I hope for two things from you. 1) Watch 'An Inconvenient Truth' by Al Gore. 2) Take action.

No comments: