Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Names are important!



















Ang Moh - The Hokkien term for 'white man'

I'm sure you've stumbled on your fair share of silly business names. I stumbled upon this one yesterday during lunch. (the banner was nowhere near the restaurant, nor were there any directions to it)

From the food pics, it could be Vietnamese. If Ang More means 'uber tasty' in Vietnamese then I guess their target market are people that understand Vietnamese. I don't know my migration statistics, but methinks that's a small amount of people.

If they're trying to attract Malaysians with a thing for western food, they've got their pictures wrong. It's like having a banner for a restaurant called Denny's and placing asian dishes on the front.

The only market left is if you're a Malaysian that hasn't heard of the term Ang Moh, and think it's a cute name. *shrug*

Despite my rant, it's not all that bad. The worse I've seen to date was a Vietnamese place (no I do not have anything against them) called Num Phuc. It's shut down now.

I wonder why...

1 comment:

Bry™ said...

was that picture taken by a Nokia N95? *smirk*