Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Story #3 - Last stand

This one is inspired by a particular episode in 'The Sandman' by Neil Gaiman. The main character, Dream, faced a demon in a challenge of riddles. I borrowed the last line, which I found so powerful.
Also, it's a fitting story for an eternal optimist. ;)

-.-

“It’s almost cliché that our kind needs to brag, but I feel obliged to let you know just how special you are. The cost of my services rarely justifies the results, so I’m not exactly the first in line for simple murder. It was I that whispered foul into Cain’s ears. My hammer forged the arrow that brought down Achilles. Every blade that thrust into Caesar carried my mark. And do you honestly believe the assassin of Martin Luther was of mortal skill? Now, before I do you this honour, just who might you be?”

“I am hope”, said I.

-.-

3 comments:

Shuuji said...

Its spelt "Caesar". :P

Rose said...

i actually copied and pasted the story into Word and checked. hahaha, it really is EXACTLY 100 words. kudos!

Hugin said...

Caesar. Thanks!

So far, the challenge isn't so much getting it exactly 100. It's more of trying to create a situation that 100 words can bring to life.