Sunday, January 6, 2008

Rituals

Yesterday I attended the wedding of my former boss. In the morning, they had the church procession and at night, the usual Chinese dinner. While this post might seem as 'doh', what struck me during that day was how important rituals are... and how I have taken them for granted.

I suppose I've never really thought so much about the significance of the many different things we do. From weddings, religion, family and virtually every aspect of your life, you perform rituals. I tend to think that it is the inherent intent that is most important... but could it be that without the ritual to bind it, it would be meaningless?

For example; the wedding vow is simply the ritual that seals the commitment that the two people have already chosen to make. The act of asking your parents to 'eat' before a meal is a ritual display of filial piety. Not having it there wouldn't mean that I didn't love my parents, but removing it would certainly have some negative effect.

Next time you catch yourself doing something 'automatically', have a think on it.

No comments: